9.28.2011

Foreclosure Quilt : Atlanta

There's nothing like a deadline to make one motivated! I finished the Atlanta Foreclosure quilt just in time to hang it at the SOMArts Gallery on Monday for San Francisco Open Studios. I left all of my red thread at home over the weekend, brilliant! So there was a lot of last minute sewing to be done once I returned.

Atlanta Foreclosure Quilt, 2011. 19 1/2" x 19 1/2"
Recycled denim, bleached linen, cheesecloth, yarn and embroidery thread.
This is my smallest piece as the size was limited by the gallery. All of the materials are remnants from my studio. The backing on this piece is my remaining hemp napkin from my Inhabit Project with Vanessa Filley. Quilting with denim and thick hemp is not easy. My fingers were certainly sore, especially after working quickly at the last minute!

Atlanta Foreclosure Quilt detail
The color variations are a pattern that relates to how many foreclosed lots are located within a block. The more foreclosures, the darker the color. Given that I was limited with reusing my materials, it almost works out perfectly. You can see process photos here.

Atlanta Foreclosure Quilt detail
You can see this piece in person at SOMArts Gallery at 934 Brannon Street in San Francisco from September 30th to October 29th. Regarding Open Studios, I will be showing at Clara Street Studios in San Francisco's SOMA district with my friend, artist Ruth Freeman on October 15th and 16th from 11 to 6 pm. I used to work with Ruth over a decade ago in the architecture world. The address is 185 Clara Street at 5th Street, Studio 102B. I will have three of my Foreclosure pieces on display as well as all of my Idiom Series from last year. I hope to see some of you there!


8 comments:

Peppermint Pinwheels said...

I'm adding this to my calendar now so I won't forget! I would love to see this work in person!

Kitty Kilian said...

Well done! I hopr the show is a success!

Sonya Philip said...

I hope to come by during your weekend, I was just flipping through the guide yesterday and saw the picture of one of your quilts!

Cate Rose said...

I love this series. Wish I could see the show, best of luck with it!

kathrynclark said...

It would be great to see some of you! And Sonya, you're having Open Studios this weekend! Go check out her work everyone! http://www.sonyaphilip.com/Blog/2011/09/open-studios-4.html

LR said...

someday i will make it to one of your shows. all the best.

Janette Kearns Wilson said...

I just happened on your site.Is the "foreclosure" part of a collaborative project, or a solo exhibition.
I am excited by the idea. That said, did you find it difficult emotionally to do or did you keep going because of the need for a political statement.
really interesting work

Katrina said...

oh, hooray! i would love to see your work and say hello. though i am oh-so-pregnant at this point that my outings tend to be short and waddling. i'm going to put your open studio on my weekend wishlist. otherwise, good luck and have much fun! xoxo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails