11.30.2010

Foreclosure : ink studies

I made some simple gouache studies today to help me visualize the details of the quilt blocks I plan to make on my Foreclosure series. It's always a challenge between striking a balance between representational and conceptual. I think it works here. You're not quite sure it's a map until you understand it, and then it's obvious. Well, hopefully ...

Foreclosure study, Las Vegas neighborhood (A2), 2010. Gouache, 15" x 20"
The lines are roads and the rectangles represent foreclosed lots. Shocking that there are so many, no? Imagine twenty-four of these areas pieced together. Even more shocking.

Foreclosure study, Las Vegas neighborhood (B9), 2010. Gouache, 15" x 20"
Foreclosure study, Las Vegas neighborhood (D4), 2010. Gouache, 15" x 20"

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like these. If I didn't know what the study was right away, I would be tempted to come up with several interpretations. "Circuit board" is one other idea that comes to mind along with the map. Lovely!

Kitty Kilian said...

Go on! Give us more!

Ellen Vesters said...

Love it, Kathryn! I can definately feel the whole map thing. I love the graphic quality of it, black and white always does it for me!

kathrynclark said...

It's coming, it's coming! It's so hard having studio time around the holidays!

Victoria said...

very powerful.

kalanicut said...

Wow, I have a sister who lives in NW LV and your foreclosure project hits close to home. What a powerful topic to tackle!

My sister's neighborhood has been decimated with foreclusures. She has been working 4 jobs for the past 3 years trying to keep her home after being a very successful structural engineer. I have several close loved ones who will soon lose their homes. It's very, very sad.

kathrynclark said...

Thanks so much for commenting kalanicut. How sad to hear how closely it affects your family. I think too many people are unaware of how severe this crisis has become. I'm hoping these quilts will bring it to attention.

Chantal said...

That's such an interesting way to depict the foreclosures Kathryn. So stark and strong - sends a very strong message.

Sophie Truong said...

love where this project is going! It looks great and has quite an impact. Keep it up!

arounna said...

this would make a beautiful print
perhaps layered.

**EYE-SNACKS** said...

wow, your ink drawings are wonderful!
You have to make them next to your textile art,don't you think?

kathrynclark said...

I think these might end up in my Sketcbook Project, due in a month!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails