8.11.2010

work table : pojagi?

Another brief but productive day in the studio today. This time I explored making pojagi, or bojagi, a traditional Korean square patchwork design used for gift wrapping as well as for buddhist rites. I had planned on doing this piece and oddly enough, I stumbled on an amazingly talented artist's blog that perfectly explains the process (so that's how you fold the seams!). Her work is incredible and I can't wait to share it with you later this week. Until then, here is today's work table ...



Here's a typical start to a new piece, sketches that always look architectural and lots of referencing back and forth to books. I'm working on two new ideas here and had a hard time which one to experiment with first. The book shown is The Art of Manipulating Fabric. An excellent reference for anyone working with fiber.


I've been accumulating translucent cloth for several years and used it in my Open series. I thought I'd see how it fits into my Idiom series. This piece using pojagi will be called Holy cow and uses the golden section for a layout. It's sometimes referred to as The Divine Proportion so obviously this seemed appropriate for this work.


I swooped up some beautiful leather I found on sale recently and plan to integrate it into the pojagi some how, some way. Do you know how hard it is to sew leather? I have no idea how it will be sewn into the pojagi at the moment but I do know the leather has to be the centerpiece of the work. We'll see what comes after that ...

4 comments:

Victoria said...

This is exciting to see! (And I am enthralled by your sketches.)

Inklore said...

I have exactly this project sketched in one of my books. I can't wait to see the finished piece!

kathrynclark said...

Thank you, Victoria!

I'm so curious to see what your sketchbook looks like, Sam. Be sure to look at Victoria's blog (previous comment) as it is the amazing one that I spoke of. A lovely post on it coming soon!

anastasia said...

perhaps you could sandwich the leather piece between two pieces of cloth; not actually stitching the leather, but around it. and maybe doing some reverse applique to reveal the texture of the leather?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails